Was "Re: Interpreting the Bible: literally or metaphorically?"
James
2009-07-17 01:20:31 UTC
Re: Interpreting the Bible: literally or metaphorically?
Similarly, was the story of Jonah a parable? And Noah?
On what Scriptural basis would one declare them parables?
In the case of Jonah, because the style of the book is totally different
from all the other prophetic writings.
In the case of Noah, because it is plain that, as a historical event, it
did not happen exactly as described, so one must ask how and why it came
to be written. And the existence of the earlier Sumerian story is
obviously relevant there. The interest in ths story is not so much in is
historical accuracy as with the slant that was put on it - which is
essentially the principal feature of parables.
Hello,

Yet the Son of God, Jesus, believed in the literal story about Noah
and the great flood. Mt 24:36-39,

"36. "No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in
heaven, nor the Son, but only the Father.
37. As it was in the days of Noah, so it will be at the coming of
the Son of Man.
38. For in the days before the flood, people were eating and
drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, up to the day Noah entered
the ark;
39. and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood
came and took them all away. That is how it will be at the coming of
the Son of Man."" (NIV)

Also if you step back and look at the whole picture, if there really
was a worldwide flood, then one of the first evidences we would expect
is for this planet to have a lot of water left on it. Interestingly it
does.

Sincerely, James

If you wish to have a discussion with me, please use email since I do
not follow all conversations in ng threads

***********************************
Want a FREE home Bible study?
Have Jehovah's Witnesses Questions?
Go to the authorized source:
http://www.watchtower.org
***********************************
There isn't any, so the answer to both questions would be No
No, the logical answer would be "we don't know".
l***@hotmail.com
2009-07-20 03:08:27 UTC
Post by James
Yet the Son of God, Jesus, believed in the literal story about Noah
and the great flood. Mt 24:36-39,
And if you take the NT record literally, Jesus is God! You
were saying?
Post by James
Also if you step back and look at the whole picture, if there really
was a worldwide flood, then one of the first evidences we would expect
is for this planet to have a lot of water left on it. Interestingly it
does.
If the earth was reduced to the size of a basketball, you could
reproduce the waters of the oceans with a mere one and a half
teaspoons of water! Most of the water either went atmospheric
or subterranean.
Then you should not be allowed to post here.
George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
2009-07-22 00:18:17 UTC
Post by James
Re: Interpreting the Bible: literally or metaphorically?
Similarly, was the story of Jonah a parable? And Noah?
On what Scriptural basis would one declare them parables?
In the case of Jonah, because the style of the book is totally different
from all the other prophetic writings.
In the case of Noah, because it is plain that, as a historical event, it
did not happen exactly as described, so one must ask how and why it came
to be written. And the existence of the earlier Sumerian story is
obviously relevant there. The interest in ths story is not so much in is
historical accuracy as with the slant that was put on it - which is
essentially the principal feature of parables.
Hello,
Yet the Son of God, Jesus, believed in the literal story about Noah
and the great flood. Mt 24:36-39,
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle, the heavens had
windows out of which water could flow, the sun moved over the earth
from east to west, stars were smaller than they are today and not
billions of miles away and a serpent and a Jenny asses could talk. My
how things have changed.
Eric417
2009-07-23 02:41:15 UTC
<***@aol.com> wrote:

Post by George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle, the heavens had
windows out of which water could flow, the sun moved over the earth
from east to west, stars were smaller than they are today and not
billions of miles away and a serpent and a Jenny asses could talk.
No, it wasn't and never was.

http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html
Evolutionists often falsely accuse creationists of believing in a flat
Earth. But neither history nor modern scholarship supports the claim
that Christians ever widely believed that the Earth was flat. And the
Bible doesn't teach it.

----

[It's not clear that this is a general problem with "evolutionists" or
liberal Christians, except to the extent that they're misled by the
widespread propaganda. The myth of the flat earth seems to go back to
a specific group of anti-Christians, identified in that article. I'm
from the liberal end of Christianity, and the church history I've read
gets it right.

Another issue not dealt with in this article is Columbus: I believe I
learned in school that Columbus had problems because he knew the earth
was round and others thought he would fall off the edge. As I
understand it now, everyone knew it was round. He believed it was
smaller than it was. So other people didn't think he'd fall off the
edge, but rather that he would run out of food and water. Which he
almost did, and would certainly have done had he not unexpectedly run
into America. This is certainly the story as it appears in Wikipedia,
and I believe I've seen it in more authoritative sources.

--clh]
George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
2009-07-24 02:21:41 UTC
Post by Eric417
George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
Post by George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle, the heavens had
windows out of which water could flow, the sun moved over the earth
from east to west, stars were smaller than they are today and not
billions of miles away and a serpent and a Jenny asses could talk.
No, it wasn't and never was.
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html
Evolutionists often falsely accuse creationists of believing in a flat
Earth. But neither history nor modern scholarship supports the claim
that Christians ever widely believed that the Earth was flat. And the
Bible doesn't teach it.
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle - Isaiah 40;22,
Was it flat? It had 4 corners -Isaiah 11:12
the heavens had windows out of which water could flow, - Genesis
7:77-12
the sun moved over the earth - Joshua 10:12-13 from east to west,
stars were smaller than they are today and notbillions of miles away
and a serpent - Genesis 3:1-5
and a Jenny ass could talk.-Numbers 22:28-30

how things have changed.
Eric417
2009-08-04 01:31:22 UTC
Post by Eric417
Post by George the Guy Who Watches Terrapene carolina triungus
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle, the heavens had
windows out of which water could flow, the sun moved over the earth
from east to west, stars were smaller than they are today and not
billions of miles away and a serpent and a Jenny asses could talk.
No, it wasn't and never was.
http://www.christiananswers.net/q-aig/aig-c034.html
Evolutionists often falsely accuse creationists of believing in a flat
Earth. But neither history nor modern scholarship supports the claim
that Christians ever widely believed that the Earth was flat. And the
Bible doesn't teach it.
The flood was back then when the earth was a circle - Isaiah 40;22,
The word for circle can be legitimagely translated as Sphere.

I would suggest reading the article at ChristianAnswers.net